There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bayern Brewing "Amber"

[Edit]
While publishing this blog entry I noticed from Bayern's Website that what I thought was an Amber Ale, is actually an Amber Lager. Think Yuengling Traditional Lager...HOWEVER...Bayern describes their 'Amber Lager' as a Märzen, which I would say misses the mark as well. Either way I was reviewing this beer based on the premise of an Amber Ale, and of course didn't find the qualities I was expecting. I will leave my review on this site as I wrote it at the Pub. I have deleted my review on BeerAdvocate because my comments do not accurately reflect the style of beer Bayern brewed. My apologies. Next time I will be certain to leave no doubt as to what style of beer I am drinking. In my defense however, the Tap Handle (from the brewer) and Menu Description at the pub simply stated the beer was an "Amber". What would you presume?



Bayern Brewing
Amber
On tap at the Iron Horse Pub
Missoula MT

Aroma: Light caramel and sweet white bread. There is a yeast phenolic that comes off as a light diacetyl. No hop aroma.

Appearance: A diluted amber, near yellow, but there's just enough red allowed to pass through that a slight amber hue present. Beer was served with a full head of white but this quickly faded the trace of a white ring. Brilliant filtered clarity.

Flavor: Noble hop flavor upfront that holds the palate for a moment, until it is replaced by a cream-like caramel. Hop flavor comes back again through the middle with more earthy presence. Bitterness comes out near the finish and bites the back of the throat and tongue.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with high carbonation. The carbonation has a tendency to come off 'fizzy' if the beer is held on the palate for too long. This scrapes the tongue... Finish is almost completely dry save for a touch of malt sweetness mixed in with the bittering hops.

Overall: Amber Ale...well that might be a stretch. Without truly knowing I'm guessing this beer was fermented with a lager yeast at higher than lager temperatures. This gives it a crisp finish that one would look for in a summer ale, but the carbonation really doesn't allow for a smooth drinking beer. Aroma isn't well defined and the color resembles more of a blond, or a dark Kölsch.

Bayern Brewing on BeerAdvocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Beer enthusiast and advocate. Recognized beer judge and traveler of west coast beer destinations.